passion flower caerulea blue

floral_grow(6)June 2, 2009

I know someone here can help me. I just received a caerulea blue as a gift. I live in zone 6 WNY. Will this plant live through our winters? If not should I keep it as a house plant? If I plant it outside on a trellis, I won't be able to bring it in over winter.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ricker(9a)

I think they're OK from zones 8-11.
Just put it into a large pot and place a tomato cage
over it. When the winter come in, move the whole thing inside until the warmer weather comes in.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: More info here

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 8:08PM
karyn1(7a)

I seriously doubt it can survive the winter in your zone. My hardy varieties that have been coming back for quite a while don't look like they made it through last winter which was unseasonably cold and I'm in zone 7a. Grow it in a container and if space is an issue you can allow it to go dormant over the winter in a cold (but above freezing) area like a basement or possibly a garage. Cut way back on watering if it's dormant. You can keep it going inside under grow lights as well but I'd cut it back to a reasonable size before trying to get it inside. I keep several tropical passies protected over the winter under HID lights. Some will continue blooming but the colors aren't nearly as vibrant as when they are outside.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 9:21AM
roxxanne

I live in SWPA zone 6a. I keep mine in a 2 gal. container with a tomato cage and put it in my basement in the winter and bring it back out in the late spring. It does fine this way. I do the same with my gilberti. I planted incarnata in the ground last year and it came back, YEAH!!!
Roxanne

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 12:04PM
floral_grow(6)

Thanks for all the info. I am going to repot to a larger pot and get the tomato cage. I'm opting to bring it in for the winter just to be safe.

Barb

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 8:09AM
lycopus(z5 NY)

I used to live in southern NY, zone 6b I think. I planted a P. caerulea outside and mulched over it before the cold weather set in. The next spring I waited for it to come up again...and waited, and waited, and waited

I've been told me that it will survive along the coast in CT, which might be closer to zone 7.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Where to buy?
Can anyone suggest a place to buy passion flower vines...
jwink246
Lavender Lady Bloom in January
Its a bit beaten up due to weather...
merkity
passiflora caerulea
I have a packet of Passiflora caerulea seed. I tried...
theodosiaunderwood
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™