Brrrrrrr!

gldno1November 16, 2012

The White Crowned Sparrows are back and taking a bath. My husband took these out the kitchen window.

The berried bush is nandina domestica,

I see the purple finches are back too. We bought wild bird seed and black oil sunflower seeds day before yesterday but haven't got the feeders up yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Thanks for the pictures. That first one with them in action is cute. I saw birds taking a bath in the stock tank yesterday. I have sticks in there so they had something to perch on. Bird seed is expensive. If you have a good window to view them it is worth it. I will wait for winter and put out the bird seed in bad weather. The red berries are a welcome bright spot. This weather has been great for digging although it is burrrr in the mornings.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 5:00PM
gldno1

It is expensive. The sunflower seed 50 lbs. was 24.99 and the wild bird seed 40 lbs was 17.50 at SOMO. It should last all winter. We both enjoy the birds and have two windows we can see them from pretty close. I justify it because we rarely just spend money on entertainment. I also feel guilty because I know the birds expect it.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 5:33AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Guess they don't mind the chilly water.

It's much cheaper to buy birdseed in bulk like you did. I still have some left over from last winter. I didn't feed the birds much because it was so warm.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 7:11PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I am feeding the birds; I can see them from my window. They are stealing cat food. It is not good for them according to what I read online, but I can't stop them. The cat food was in the barn where animals were eating it. I moved it to the porch behind the dog houses as a solution. Cardinals, titmice and wood hatches are the main visitors. They are lining up on a mulberry branch and taking turns.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 4:26PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I've seen Bluejays go after my dogs' food if they don't eat it all. It's suprising how much a couple birds can can eat.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 6:36AM
More Discussions
Storms
We were very lucky and only got 1.5 inches of rain...
gldno1
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™