Ordering trees and shrubs from MDC

christie_sw_mo(Z6)November 29, 2006

The MO Dept. of Conservation has order forms now for bare root trees and shrubs.

This year they have added Serviceberry (amelanchier arborea) and Nannyberry (viburnum lentago). I ordered a bundle of each of those but I noticed they are also included in the Conservation and Wildlife bundles where you get an assortment. Wish I could custom make my own little assorted bundle. : ) There are some others that I'd like to have but don't want to order more than I could get planted.

I will get a total of 50 seedlings for around $20 which includes the cost for postage and handling. It's such a good deal, I wanted share the link in case someone didn't know about it. They have around 80 different varieties that can be ordered for early spring. It's offered to Missouri residents only and they cannot be resold.

Here is a link that might be useful: MDC seedling order form

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

Thanks for reminding me. The last time I checked their website, the order form was not up. I want to get some things too and I had totally forgotten about them.

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 5:51PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Hey GLD - What do you plan to order? Maybe we can share with each other to get more variety.

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 10:31AM
gldno1

Christie, I am just now seeing this post....my phone was out all day yesterday and I am dial-up. I will try to visit MDC this weekend and let you know. I do know I want some fall color in shrubs and small trees.

Bookmark   December 2, 2006 at 8:15AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I'm sure there are several on that list that have good fall color. I'm hoping that the Amelanchiers and nannyberries will both have good fall color. I already have two nannyberries and they turned a dark red this fall, maybe a little too dark to stand out a lot but they were still kinda pretty. If you decide to order fragrant sumac for fall color, I wouldn't mind having a couple of those. : )

I plan to add to my order and get some for the garden group at my kids elementary school. Does anyone have suggestions for that. I don't know whether it would be better to order something that most people are familiar with like flowering dogwoods or maybe maybe something more unusual.

Is anyone growing amelanchier arborea? Wonder if that's one that Japanese beetles like to munch on. I have a small amelanchier canadensis tree and it gets defoliated badly by something in the summer. I also have another shrub type amelanchier and haven't noticed the leaves getting eaten on them at all.

Bookmark   December 2, 2006 at 2:11PM
peaceofmind

Thank you, Thank you for posting this, Christie. I just ordered some service trees that I've wanted for a long time. I'll have more than I need when I get my order in March so I'll post here and see if any of you Missouri folks want a couple.
Anise

Bookmark   December 2, 2006 at 5:53PM
gldno1

Christie, I keep procrastinating.....everytime I get an order together, I think about planting all that stuff and I freeze. I don't get much gardening help here!

Bookmark   December 11, 2006 at 8:34AM
More Discussions
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
peaceofmind
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting | Nest Mini Pendant Light
$249.00 | YLighting
Home Decorators Runner: Trek White and Black 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Tiffany Style Tree Shape Table Lamp with Red Leaves
ParrotUncle
Home Decorators Runner: Trek White and Black 2' 6" x 6'
Home Depot
Avanti Friendly Gathering White Embellished 4-piece Towel Set
Overstock.com
Arrano 55" Double Bathroom Vanity - White with Semi-Recessed Sinks
Modern Bathroom
Monocle Wall Sconce - Dome Lens - Rich Brilliant Willing
$375.00 | HORNE
Bath Authority DreamLine Solo Frameless Sliding Shower Enclosure, Base and QWALL
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™