Peony Molly the Witch

furbankMarch 23, 2012

Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year it bloomed briefly but this year the stems are growing so long that it's now top heavy and hitting the ground. I staked it up for support. Is this normal? Also, should I fertilize? I need all the information I can get, so please, lets talk. Thanks.

Nickell

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

I am sorry I cannot be specific as I have not grown this particular peony, but I have seen my Mother-in-law's peony grow so large it flops over (in fact, every year it does this). Hope this helps.

Planto

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 6:02PM
calistoga_al

I grow mine through a grid to give the stems support, especially the double flower varieties. I am surprised at how early in the year you have the problem. I never fertilize my peonies, other than the adding of compost around the plants. Al

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:15AM
maifleur01

Molly can take 4 years or more to become happy where planted. Which is one of the reasons they are priced so high if the real thing.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 6:28PM
wieslaw59

If you mean Paeonia Mlokosewitschii: it ALWAYS blooms briefly, not only last year or any other year. Mine have never needed any support, but as they usually are seed propagated , you never know what an individual plant will be like.
Actually, majority of single peonies usually blooms briefly. The record in my garden belongs to a variety called Flame, where the whole clump bloomed for 2 (two) days.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 8:02PM
illinoisdoglover(z5IL)

So, does any of you have any Molly The Witch to trade or sell? I have an unknown single yellow that was given to me and I do not know if it is Molly The Witch. It is budding and will try to get back here with pictures. My peony called Flame blooms more than 2 days. Looks like I need to post some pictures. Stay in touch. Peony addict has 140 named varieties of peonies, always looking for one I do not have.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 5:24PM
illinoisdoglover(z5IL)

Looks like no one has this peony. here is the picture of one that was given to me several years ago, but the picture does not do it justice.Does anyone have any to sell or trade?

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 11:25PM
furbank

Thanks to all who replied. @ illino - I'll try to dig up info. on exactly where I purchased Molly and post for you.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™