mailing cuttings

sgeorgia(z8 SGA)June 21, 2005

what is the procedure for mailing a cutting or seedling within the U.S.?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

There aren't really any postal regulations about mailing plants that I'm aware of, although at times I come across sellers on E-Bay who are unwilling to ship plants to the "agricultural" states.. I'm unsure why. I figure since I'm already in one, anything I want to send somewhere is "safe".

I wrote a page about how I ship the plants I sell- Here it is. It takes some time to pack them, but never have I had one arrive damaged / dead, and that's the point, right?

Just make sure the plant doesn't "leak" any water- Postal guys get a bit twitchy about that.

For cuttings I'd wet some paper towells & wrap them around the cut end- then wrap that in plastic wrap somehow so the water can't get out. Then I'd put the whole thing in a big ziplock- keeps it from dehydrating during shipping. Again, take some time with it & you're stuff will arrive safe & alive.

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 12:14PM
sgeorgia(z8 SGA)

Thanks Krstofer. That was very detailed and easy to follow. BTW some of the seeds you sent last year I planted this spring. Some are starting to pop up now. They'll have a good home in S GA.

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 12:46PM
tdogmom(9)

Excellent pictures and instructions! :)

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 11:37PM
thotlz

Cut a small water bottle in 1/2. Start the plant cuttings in a peat ball wrapped in spagnum moss in the bottom part of the water bottle. Wrap enough spagnum moss around the peat ball to keep it snug in the bottom of the water bottle. You may want to put Saran Wrap around the bottom of the bottle to keep the cutting in place. Replace the top of the bottle and tape the two sections together. You can wrap the bottle in Saran Wrap if you're still worried about leakage. Put the bottle in a box and it will stay *very* safe for shipping.

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 7:48AM
sgeorgia(z8 SGA)

That sounds easy. Thanks

Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
Lavender Lady Bloom in January
Its a bit beaten up due to weather...
merkity
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™