small passion blooms brown and die; stink bug problems?

eviebr99June 10, 2006

I have a blue eyed susan passion flower...it is growing like crazy, has bloomed a couple of times, and has (had) small blooms coming out on nearly every shoot. but before they get bigger than a quarter of an inch in diameter, they brown and then shrivel up and die. I haven't seen any mites anywhere...i have seen a few brown stink bugs though. could they be doing this? how do I control them? I've tried using ins. soap, but I don't really know what the problem is so I'm not sure how to tackle it. Other than the blooms dying almost immediately, the plant is doing exceptionally well (I have two other passifloras, ruby glow and macrocarpa, and it is outgrowing them more every day). The plant is in-ground. We are in New Orleans, Louisiana. It gets watered regularly. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Hi,
Yes stink bugs sure do cause that. I have been having the same problems with my p. vines this year-loads of stink bugs then bloom drop. At first I just picked off the stink bugs and threw them in soapy water-they sink like a rock. If there aren't too many ,this could work. But I had too many so I used NEEM on my vines that have edible fruit. You could try a homemade oil/soap spray as well.
If the dew (we have alot of dew here near Erath LA where I live) washes it off, you will need to reapply every other day until you get the prob under control.
For my passies that dont produce edible fruit I used ortho systemic and that flat out took care of the bugs on those vines. Don't use this if you want butterflies to lay eggs on your vines.
~SJN

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 4:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eviebr99

Thanks SJN! They were DEFINITELY the problem. I tried picking them off but when I saw that they had laid eggs I sprayed. None of my passions are fruiting (I have a ruby glow, a blue-eyed susan, and a macrocarpa). I think in the process I killed off my caterpillar population but hopefully they come back and the stinkbugs don't! Again, thanks for your help!

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
I am surprised
Hi, New to this forum, I became interested in Passion...
morningloree
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
interested in breeding cold tolerant passiflora for flowers and f
Hi all. I recently moved to a cold climate and is like...
caricapapaya
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
Florida Collectors-Update
I ran across an old thread that was pretty informative,...
morningloree
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™