First time grower of Passion flower

djp48(Cardiff UK)June 21, 2005

I was given a small cutting of a passion flower(passiflora caerulea) 18 months ago. I planted it out in the spring of 2004 and not knowing anything about it just left it to chance. I covered the roots with straw in the winter, it is now nearly 8 foot high and supporting more than 60 flowers. I need to prune it before it escapes onto the roof over the front door, when is the best time to do this and how far can I prune it back?

The stem was attacked during last year and has some of the outer bark missing, will this leave the plant open to any infection or attack?

Thanks,

Jackie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TigerLadyTX(z8a Dallas)

I trim mine when it starts getting cool. Taking the vine down about 1/4 height/width with each cutting until it is about 1/4 the original size/height. I spread that out over several weeks so that the plant does not have a freak out attack.

If you have out of control bits now, you can just trim those off and it should not bother the majority of the plant.

~Tiger

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 9:01PM
passionflow(8b)

Jackie
Bearing in mind that you are growing in UK (much cooler than Dallas usually though 30C in London today!) this time of year is a good time to prune-when the plant is growing strongly. As Tiger says do a bit at a time though or the plant could go into shock. Don't worry re bark damage.
Myles

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 2:07AM
djp48(Cardiff UK)

Thanks both of you for the advice, will do it very carefully, don't want to stress the plant.
Temperature here today is 28C, next week I guess we will be back to a normal British summer.....!
Jackie

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 11:16AM
fairy_toadmother

i never did get used to the celsius/fahrenheit conversions!

what growing zone are you in the uk? lovely that you are able to overwinter you cerulae!

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 8:36PM
fatmaxxv(z8 TX)

Passionflow:

Where can I buy Passion flowers to grow here? I'm very attracted to how it looks and want to give it a try. Any tips? Is now a good time to plant?

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
interested in breeding cold tolerant passiflora for flowers and f
Hi all. I recently moved to a cold climate and is like...
caricapapaya
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™