First fruits of my labor..

Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))June 14, 2005

The red ones are caerulea, hand polinated.

The others are (lemme see if I can get the order right) caerulea (pollen) X 'lavender lady'. (where the fruit hung) First ripe fruit of prolly 100. Less seeds inside than I thought, maybe an anomoly, maybe just because of the cross, I don't know. When more fruit ripens I'll have a better idea.

I understand this particular cross will get me 'blue boutique' correct?

Trades, anyone?

I also have in the wings caerulea X 'lady margaret' which I understand is un-named as of yet, and caerulea X violacea. Haven't checked if that one's named. Both are developing fruit as I type, I'll find out if they contain anything when they ripen.

Sapphire is also about to bloom, I understand it sets fruit rather easily, but is usually empty. We'll see what / if I can create anything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower(7)

I'm both jealous...and hungry.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 11:45AM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

Neither tastes very good-

My big caerulea wasn't setting fruit so I picked up a little one at the store & when I cross them I get lucky. After reading a bit I found that caerulea itself isn't terribly self fertile- But now the two plants are getting so intertwined it's hard to tell who's who.

The cross with Lavender is simply luck- Both were in bloom at the same time so I figured I'd give a try. I'd like to use something else as a polinator, but i don't have many pure strains.. And none of them are big enough or willing to flower it seems.

Also seems 'fruit ripening' is like boiling water.. The more you watch, the longer the wait.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 1:24PM
passionflow(8b)

Hi Krstofer

By convention the female is always put first when describing the cross..an easy way to remember is that this is the plant the fruit hangs on so female = fruit = first name. The second name is the male plant which has given the pollen. A good tip if you start doing loads of hybrids is to start off with a paper or plastic label hung round the flower you have tried to pollinate with the initials of the male parent on it and when the fruit have set and started to grow label the fruit itself with initials of both parents in indelible ink.....relabel it as it grows if needed..and then when it falls you will still know which fruit you have. Believe me I wish I had thought of this years ago! The cross you have done-putting it the right way round - is P. Amethyst (correct name for Lavender lady) x P. caerulea. There have been huge numbers of this cross produced, especially in Europe, and quite a lot have been named-as they can be quite variable-so you are unlikely to end up with something that deserves its own name but it's a great cross to start with and of course you can cross the offspring with other Passiflora to head off in a new direction. Blue Bouquet is Patrick Worley's hybrid and is quite complex being ((P. amethystina x P. caerulea) x (P. amethystina x P. caerulea) x P. caerulea.

People tend to like caerulea in their crosses as it gives hardiness and is reliable. Incarnata is more cold hardy but its hybrids tend to die back to the ground each year and certainly in Northern Europe generally it is not a good parent as the damp soil tends to rot it.
Myles

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 2:34PM
wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)

Is edulis x caerulea called colvilli? Or Byron's Beauty? I should have more seeds of this cross than I know what to do with.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 9:53PM
passionflow(8b)

Edulis x caerulea- the only named one I know of is P.'Excel'. Free flowering, fairly hardy but I think always empty fruit.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora Excel

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 1:51AM
wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)

Many thanks, Myles...

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
Another greenhouse...
So I fell over another passi place during an image...
Krstofer
Passionflower never bloomed in 3-4yrs
I was given a Passiflora vine about 4yrs. ago. I am...
rcharles_gw
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Sponsored Products
Catnapper Concord Lay Flat Reclining Sofa Set - Pecan - CAT296
$689.00 | Hayneedle
GG Collection Mesh Dome - Set of 2 - 92300
$96.00 | Hayneedle
Speakman Waterslide Showerhead with Curved Handle
$559.00 | FRONTGATE
Amytis Heirloom Bronze Eight-Light Harvest Swarovski Elements Chandelier 25W x 2
Bellacor
nuLOOM Estate Monogrammed Welcome Door Mat (3' x 6')
Overstock.com
Montclaire Mystic One-Light Wall Sconce with White Fabric Shade
$85.00 | Bellacor
White Sandstone Pillow 16" x 24" - WHITE (16X24)
$99.90 | Horchow
Flos | Biagio Table Lamp
YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™