water, water everywhere...

amberdimMarch 31, 2014

Hello to all. We had lots of snow this winter and now some of my peonies under 5" of water. Is it survivable or will I lose them? What are your experiences?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KarenPA_6b

I am sorry to hear about this waterlog. I hope that the water will quickly drain away from the peonies. But the longer it goes on, the higher possibility of loss to rot.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 7:10PM
amberdim

Gosh... this winter really stretched us to the limit... I'll post an update later in the Spring. Hope some will survive...

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 7:29PM
KarenPA_6b

Are there any peonies that you wish to keep? Maybe you can dig these up and pot them. I have found that the lactifloras, old fashioned varieties such as Festiva Maxima or Sarah Bernhart are more forgiving in wet soil. But if you have hybrids esp. Saunders hybrids and the species, they cannot stand water and will quickly rot. If you have these, I strongly recommend that you dig and pot them.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 8:09PM
amberdim

No can do... grounds are still frozen. Those are Claire de lune...

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 8:28PM
KarenPA_6b

If your ground is frozen meaning your peony is not actively growing so I think the peony is OK. Though your peony is a hybrid, it is a bit risky. Good luck. I hope it will survive.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 8:51PM
amberdim

Thank you . I'll update you on them later

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 8:59PM
lizbest1(5)

Unfortunately I don't have different advice, Kousa's right about the waterlog. I'd try to channel the standing water away so the ground can dry quickly once it thaws. Has your Claire de Lune bloomed before? I ask because I have one that bloomed for the first time last year and I was pretty disappointed. It had been in the same location for 4 years or so and finally just had 1 or 2 blooms, they were tiny and a very washed out yellow. What was your experience with it?

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:27PM
amberdim

they were planted last fall. No , they did not bloom yet.... I have 4 different areas my peonies are planted in and most of them are ok, just those 4 plants are in trouble... bummer... hate to lose a living thing...

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™