P. suberosa seed starting

michaelz9(Central FL)June 10, 2005

I just gathered some ripe suberosa fruit from my small vine that I have growing in a container and was wondering if you folks had any hints as to starting these seeds? The actual seeds must be tiny as the fruit is so small. I have had a few babies come up from an area where I just tossed the fruit at before and forgot them but I'd like to monitor their germination. I really would like to start a large number of suberosa, incarnata and biflora for use as fodder for my caterpillars.

Should I just plant the entire fruit while it is still fresh? or wait til it dries out?

Use soilless mixture or reg. potting mix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TigerLadyTX(z8a Dallas)

Wait until the fruit gets very wrinkly before opening it. Plant the seeds as deep as they are thick into a mixture of 50/50 play sand and good potting soil. Keep the soil moist by misting it with a water sprayer so that you do not disturb the seeds. Keep the pots in a warm sunny spot...and hope.
Sometimes they sprout fast, other times they seem to take forever.

~Tiger

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 9:40PM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

Don't forget to take the 'sauce' off the seeds. You might soak some for a day or 2 in orange juice, see if those sprout any faster.

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 8:29PM
TigerLadyTX(z8a Dallas)

I have found that fresh seeds do not need the "sauce" taken off of them. The pulp that surrounds the fresh seed is far superior to using orange juice to score/weaken the outer portion of the seed and enhance germination rates. All I do is gently smoosh the seed between thumb and forefinger to break the pulp sack - then stick that puppy onto the soil leftover pulp and all...

~Tiger

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
lindamarie
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
I am surprised
Hi, New to this forum, I became interested in Passion...
morningloree
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™