Need tips for rooting passiflora incarnata

LullabyF360June 25, 2013

I have these growing wild in random parts of my property. I absolutely LOVE these flowers. However, all the spots they grow are in locations such as where we are going to pave for a place to park our boat, in the middle of the yard where the mower eats them, where we drive/park vehicles, etc. I want to create a special little garden just for these to grow in safety. No nursery or store remotely near me sells any type of passiflora. I have asked if they could possibly order them & they all flat out tell me no. The only place online that I am able to order is Amazon (I dump my change into a CoinStar & get gift cards). They are expensive on Amazon, not to mention the shipping, & that is if they have it avaliable. Plus, there is no guarantee what shape it will be in when it arrives. This is why I do not buy plants online. I have tried growing them from seed with no luck whatsoever. Yes, I know it can take a good long while before they germinate, but after almost two years in the dirt without so much as a single disturbance, it is safe to say they won't be doing anything. Another method I have tried is root segments. Nada. They either rotted or shrived up. So, alas, I am doing my damnedest at rooting cuttings. This is where I need the advice. I am currently trying to simply root them in water. From what I understand, it is possible with the maypops. I tried it once this year already, but I think the cutting I took were too thin & "new" to use. This go around I am thinking I should take cuttings from right at ground level. Also, should I clip off all of the leaves?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Lullaby, the runners/roots run deep. Take a sharp spade and dig down about a foot and get some roots. Immediately plant them where you want them and keep them MOIST. They will look like they are dying, but they will be fine - just keep them moist and they will take off. There's no need to buy them if you have access to them.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Passion flower not making flowers!
Hello all! A few years ago I bought a grafted black...
patchyjack
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
passiflora caerulea
I have a packet of Passiflora caerulea seed. I tried...
theodosiaunderwood
Sponsored Products
Union Station Western Bronze Three-Light Chandelier
$379.99 | Bellacor
Couristan 0202-0024 Five Seasons Green Indoor/Outdoor Rug - 02020024111037T
$19.00 | Hayneedle
Pure Rugs | Brown Freckles Natural Cowhide
YLiving.com
Apple Tarts - NA
$72.00 | Horchow
Aspen Collection Electric Wood Burning Stove
Overstock.com