New to peonies!

peonybeeMarch 28, 2013

Hello, peony lovers and enthusiasts. I have always loved peonies, but never thought they would do well in the sweltering heat of Southern California. Last Spring, while wandering around a local nursery, I came across the gorgeous Itoh Bartzella and just couldn't help myself. The plant was well established, leafy, and had a good 6-8 buds ready to bloom. $80 later (yes, this was the most expensive single plant purchase I have ever made!), I was the proud owner of a peony plant.

I am very limited as to in-ground planting space, so I decided to opt for a huge ceramic pot. I was worried that since the peony prefers to be in-ground, that it would not do well. However, lo-and-behold, my peony plant has sprouted and the shoots with leaves are already almost a foot tall!

I am itching to go purchase another peony to my potted garden. The $80-$100 price tag on peonies at my nursery is a little steep (they only carry the itoh kind), and was thinking of ordering a bare root plant online. Hmm... decisions... anyone have any advice as to which online nurseries offer the best quality bare roots?

I have attached a picture of my blooms from last year. Can't wait for the lovely flowers to bloom again this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KarenPA_6b

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I love peonies too. Your Bartzella is gorgeous. I hope mine will bloom this year as it was planted bareroot last fall. I bought mine from Solaris Farms in Wisconsin and their plants are big size and healthy.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 9:36PM
casey1gw

I just ordered from Vermont Wildflower Farm. They have several at $28. on sale this weekend. They got very good reviews.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 7:53PM
lizbest1(5)

Thanks for the heads-up about Vermont Wildflower Farm, casey1. I just ordered 3 Itohs and 2 tree peonies for less than the price I've found on-line for 2 Itohs. Hope they're nice!
Peonybee--I share your excitement about these plants. I first saw them in Korea when I was stationed there in the military, never saw one growing up in TX. Bought my first one 17 years ago when we bought our 1st house and was hooked from then on. I think I have around 90 varieties now.....

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 2:49AM
More Discussions
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Any ideas what kind of peony is this one?
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows ( or guesses ) the peony...
AlexUnder
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Sponsored Products
Knex Angry Birds Building Set: Grillin' & Chillin' - 72462
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Schoolhouse Tall Vertical Bookcase - White - 7560
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Soho Beige/Multi 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Sea Gull Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Chatham Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Weathered
Home Depot
Sunshine Groove Wool Rug
$39.99 | zulily
New 52 Justice League Morphing Mug
$17.99 | zulily
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Tapestry Craft Ivory/Coffee 3 ft.
Home Depot
Couristan Cadence Moonlight Sonata Area Rug - 51400090020311T
$59.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™