Peony 911

afbq(7)March 12, 2013

Don't want to be too dramatic but today I was out spring cleaning and trimming. In my trimming ferver I pulled out an old Peony stem with a root and buds attached. :(

Can it be saved?! If so, what do I do? Plant in ground or in a pot? I've read that it may not do well if I just plant in ground. I might cross post this elsewhere (did not notice a lot of activity here)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

That should be a viable piece. I would suggest planting it into a 2 gallon pot with good soil, keep it well watered, and after 2-3 months, it should be a good looking plant.

As long as they have buds, and a good amount of tuberous roots, they should be able to send out feeder roots, and turn into nice strong plants.

I've attached the blog showing how I cut up my itoh peonies before planting them which worked great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting up itoh peonies before planting

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:36PM
afbq(7)

Will do! Is the tuberous root the whitish part? Also, you buried the red buds, correct?

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:57PM
stevelau1911

I will bury them too, but just barely below the surface so that they don't have to struggle to make sprouts.

If you really want to , you could split up the entire clump of peonies you have and get multiple plants however you just won't get any flowers for this year.

Last fall, I split my huge keiko itoh peony into about 30 divisions. Those actually don't need eyes to produce good divisions however most herbaceous roots do need eyes to be viable.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
Peony pinching or deadheading
I picked up a peony in a planting pot that had about...
purslanegarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™