deer mulled my peony

lynbornmanMarch 12, 2007

Ok, so I don't really know anything about Peonies but found myself owning a small plant. I planted it early summer and while it did fine, it didn't grow or bloom. Its small-medium sized. In fall, the deer ate a good chunk of it and throughout the winter they finished it off. There is currently about 3-4 branches remaining sticking up from the ground about 4-5 inches. Is this plant doomed or can it survive a deer mulling like this? Thanks for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I'd assume that the 4-5" branches remaining are the dead stalks from last season, which could've been cut way back last fall anyway. There 'should' be no problem with it returning. If you look closely at the base, or carefully scoop away any mulch, you should see some dark pink finger tip like growth.

Scoot the mulch back after checking it out.

Sue

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 2:16AM
calistoga_al

I live in the woods with lots of deer and have never had them even sample my peonies. Are they eating your other plants? Al

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 9:50AM
lynbornman

They are eating ALL of my plants. It was a bad year for my hostas, my smaller younger trees and even some of my barberry. Deer resistant plants are not so in my yard. Thanks for the help!

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 5:41PM
amulet(7b NC)

Are your plants tree peonies or herbaceous peonies? When you said branches in the original post, it made me think of tree peonies. I have heard of them eating tree peonies before, but they usually don't bother the herbaceous ones.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 9:07AM
calistoga_al

It seems obvious that deer hungry enough will eat anything not poisonous. In my opinion you will have to fence them out if you are to garden where you are. A large dog left out at night is effective but usually also requires a fence. Al

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™