Tree Peony & Blackberry vine

patty570March 4, 2006

I have a nasty blackberryvine growing up right beside the trunk of my tree peony. The tree peony is approximately 10 years old. The blackberryvine I have no idea. In the past I have been snipping the vine off at ground level because I heard tree peonies are very sensitive. How do I get rid of the blackberry vine without disturbing the tree peony?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Train some stems from the vine away from the peony. When they are long enough, spray or paint them with glyphosate (diluted to about 1%). If it comes back, then you didn't get enough leaf coated with the weedkiller. Repeat until the vine doesn't come back.

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 6:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

We have the blackberry curse here also. We cut the stems off close to the ground when they are growing fast and immediately paint the end of the stem with full strength 41% roundup. This usually stops it for a year but it usually shows up next year, If you repeat everytime it appears you will weaken it and it will be gone. If no other plants are in the area it can be controlled with a spray of 'brush be gone' when the plant is growing fast. Al

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™