Passis in winter

billnjennJuly 23, 2006

I'm starting a small collection of passis that I will be planting in pots outside, but won't have the room to bring them inside for the winter. Can I cut them back after the first frost and put them into a dark part of our cool basement for the winter or will this kill them?

Billy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I wish it were that easy lol. Passies actually are a bit more work to overwinter. There are some that I have that I have to bring in, even here in zone 9.
Passiflora need light to survive. If they were kept in the dark basement they would probably die. When I lived in a zone 4, I kept my plumeria and brugmansia downstairs (dark basement) and my passies upstairs (with grow lights).

If it is warm enough, maybe you could make a small area in the basement for them , and set up a grow light. They need to be kept above freezing and some of the tropical ones need to be kept above 50 degrees.
You will also have to watch for spider mites which love the warm dry conditions in the house. Misting the leaves helps with this.

Also although they need good ventilation, don't place them directly near or in front of heat vents because this will dry out the leaves too much.

Keep them on the dry side and only water when slightly dry.

I am posting the link to passionflow that has alot of info. on passies. You can also do a search of this site on overwintering for further ideas.
~SJN

Here is a link that might be useful: overwintering passiflora

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 11:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billnjenn

Thanks for the link. I am just starting into passiflora and would really like to keep them as happy as possible.

Billy

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Where to buy?
Can anyone suggest a place to buy passion flower vines...
jwink246
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Sponsored Products
Winter garden wreath tablecloth (mocha)
Origin Crafts
Alfresco Home Buddha Indoor/Outdoor Fountain - 74-1058
$263.00 | Hayneedle
LED Winter Bear D├ęcor
$39.99 | zulily
Winter White Butterfly Applique 22 x 22 Pillow
$22.95 | Bellacor
Cocoon Throw
Overstock.com