Propagation by layering?

mark4321_gwJuly 8, 2010

I'm curious if anyone has tried propagating their Passifloras by layering. I'm not referring to air-layering, but what I think is also called ground layering.

It's not something that I had ever tried with any plant, but a friend in Orange County recently had great success with his P. parritae. I won't tell the details--it's his story--but after a period of 4 months this late Winter/Spring he was able to get tremendous rooting and isolate I believe about a dozen plants.

So I started trying this on my small P. parritae, which is overpotted in a 5 gallon pot. I took a vine and removed three non-adjacent leaves and buried those nodes, leaving the nodes (and leaves) in between above the soil line. I managed to do this in a one gallon pot containing soil, which I kept moist. I didn't damage the stem or in any other way prepare it--I just removed the leaves on the three nodes. I checked a few days ago, after 3 weeks, and there were roots already on one of the below ground segments. The vine had grown, so I buried yet another node. I'll check on everything at the two month point.

I also want to try this with my P. membranacea, which sometimes roots for me, sometimes not.

I'm guessing that layering would be most useful for those plants that are difficult to propagate from cuttings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveh_sf(San Francisco)

Yes, I'm trying ground layering my parritae too, thanks to your e-mail to me a while back. I took a side vine and buried about 7 or 8 nodes of it in a shallow trench in adjacent sandy-loamy ground that was first highly enriched with compost. The nodes are buried about 1/2"-1" deep with all the leaves exposed. I didn't remove any leaves, and I left the last two or three immature nodes at the tip unburied. I'm keeping he area well watered, and water with Dyna-Gro K-L-N rooting hormone right near each buried node. So far it's only been a few days, but I'm optimistic.

That's a good idea trying the same method with membranacea, which can sometimes be slow and difficult with cuttings. I've got a monster membranacea in my garden, so there's plenty of material to work with.

    Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 1:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socalbill

Greetings, I'm the new guy who did it. I've been growing Passifloras for only 16 months, and only tacsonias. I have antioquiensis from seed DaveH sent me (bloomed 14 months from planting the seeds), parritae (kindly purchased and shipped to me by Mark4321 in June of '09), and their hybrid offspring 'Mission Dolores'. I am a gardener rather than a collector/specialist and certainly no expert with the Passifloras. Propagating parritae sounded like a challenge so I thought I'd try. I could not find anything on the internet showing anyone had tried layering it, only that it was very difficult from cuttings. I'd had no success with Lapageria from cuttings but they layered well so I thought I'd try layering parritae. It worked very well.

I started with a whip about 7 feet long. The upper part of the whip had a number of side shoots going but there was no branching on the base of the whip. I serpentine layered the branchless bottom part and put the branching upper part in a trench and pulled the side shoots up above ground.

The serpentine layered lower part which had no side shoots did root, but I got very little bud break or growth on the above ground nodes. Rooting was all along the buried parts of the whip, not just at the buried nodes. A couple of the above ground "shootless" nodes from the serpentine layered part of the whip did break into growth, but weakly. No shoots formed nor came up from buried nodes.

The side shoots that were attached to the buried main whip were the ones that did really well. The ones that got the most light were the ones that did the best. Not every node that was buried had a branch on it, and no buried node generated a new shoot. Only existing shoots that were pulled above ground ended up being new plants. Rooting was from all along the buried whip, not from the bases of the side shoots.

After I lifted, potted, and waited a few weeks for them to reestablish in their pots, I ended up with 9 good layers from the side shoots off the whip, and two weak layers from the serpentine layered part of the whip. I've set up two more layers to see if injuring the buried whip and using a rooting hormone will help the rooting process. Of particular note was that no buried node produced a shoot.

    Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 9:25AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Passionflower never bloomed in 3-4yrs
I was given a Passiflora vine about 4yrs. ago. I am...
rcharles_gw
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
Sponsored Products
Hanging Rooters with Base
$28.99 | Dot & Bo
Sonia Bathroom Mirror
Overstock.com
Leucos | Alma 60S Pendant Light
YLighting
Waverunner Loveseat in Red
$500.00 | LexMod
Taika Luncheon Flat Plate - Black - Iittala
$45.00 | HORNE
Ceremony Mini Chandelier by Slamp
$1,288.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™