TP & black walnut trees;ok or nix it

ccckoball(z 8)March 21, 2006

Any sage advice out there for whether Tree Peonies and herbaceous peonies are immune to the juglone kicked out by black walnut trees? My tree is large. I have many other peonies,mostly herbaceous,but also about 1/2 doz. TP in my garden further away from tree. Old rhodies by tree are starting to kick the bucket..I'd like to replace them with tree peonies,but...hmmmm..lots of $$ if it's just peonicide. Any knowlege or experience is handy. -Googled juglone & didn't get any specifics on TPs. Thanks. ccckoball

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccckoball(z 8)

To clarify; the info I found on blk walnut trees and peonies was inconclusive because 'peony' was listed on some sites as being juglone tolerant, while on other sites was listed as juglone sensitive. No sites that I ran accross gave specifics as to type or names varieties, so I am left uninformed as to which varieties were demonstrated with, and whether any included tree peony types, or focused on herbaceous peony species. -anyone to help? specific named varieties? I've trimmed off some of the BW limbs to increase the light, as the rhodies are displaying some spindly growth. ccckoball

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 2:49AM
diannp

I have herbaceous peony and tree peony under black walnut trees. They seem to do fine. Now, given that, I doubt that I would buy an expensive tree peony and plant it under a black walnut tree, cause, sure has heck, it would die. But since these tree peonies were $4.00 cheapies, they are thriving and bloom. Same with the herbaceous. I think the most problems peonies have under any tree is competition for water. My .02. :)

Diann
IA Z5a

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 8:10PM
micke(6)

I would not even chance planting peonies anywhere near a black walnut. (iris do fine around them though)

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 12:15AM
ms_xeno

FWIW, I have two herbacious "Moon of Nippon" peonies coming along nicely within the dripline of a black walnut tree. They are not directly beneath the tree, but 5-7' from the trunk. Each plant is a couple of years old and has a couple of buds ready to burst, which is pretty much what I was told to expect for such young plants. There is another (unknown) variety of herbecious peony right next to them that is temperamental. Last year, a couple of blooms. This year, a couple of pea-size buds that aren't growing. Who knows why ? [shrug]

Bah. Walnut trees. I feel your pain. :/

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Can peonies handle spring wet?
We moved to a new home a few years ago, and I've finally...
erikarochelle
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
Need Help With Timing of Putting Potted Peonies Outside
I've been nursing three potted peonies begun as roots...
JenWise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™