New to Peonies!

itzybitzy_gw(7NC)March 1, 2013

Hi all, I was afraid to grow this beautiful plant because I've heard is difficult,and I'm kinda lazy I don't like to babysit picky plants so anyways I went crazy and purchase 3 dif. kinds couple weeks ago @ my big box store since they were kinda cheap and have notice that they started to "sprout" or whatever is call...some have 4-5"stick already and I still have 6 weeks until our LFD so I was wondering if I could put them in pots with some potting mix indoors until weather is appropiate I will take them outdoors and keep them in the pot until they die back and next fall plant them in their permanent spot in the garden I've heard they don't like to be disturb but how come people divide them? I'm so confuced.Thanks in advance for any helpful information:-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

What you suggest sounds good. When you put the pot outside, give it some protection from the full sun, or sink the pot into the garden soil. Newly planted in a pot in too much sun tends to overheat the roots, plus it is difficult to keep the soil moisture up. In the fall take the rooted plant out of the pot and plant it in the garden. Your zone should have enough chilling if you do not plant too deep. Dividing will be needed for many years, and your plant will probably not bloom for two years. Al

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 8:03AM
itzybitzy_gw(7NC)

Thanks Al. I really appreciate your response:)

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:19PM
calistoga_al

I left out the NOT and missed it when proof reading. Peonies do NOT need dividing for many years, sorry. Al

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™