Crayfish in my Peony bed?!?

cherry67(6)April 15, 2014

Tonight we had a lot of rain(again) and while walking our dog I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye...At first it looked like a scorpion which we don't have around here, but then I looked closer and it looked like a baby lobster. I'm guessing its a Crayfish or something similar, but we don't have any lakes for several miles should I be concerned that it's in my flower bed?!? It's like 4 inches long too! ð³

This post was edited by cherry67 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 2:39

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

Wow!!!! Crazy!! U don't say where u live...that may help figure it out.

Sure looks like a crab to me, but not like any we have 'round here on the Chesapeake Bay. But definitely a crab.

Do u have access to live crabs for eating purposes? Like do grocery stores sell them?

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 2:48AM

And no, wouldn't worry, other than he will pinch u if u mess with him....lol. I think he's lost....displaced. BTW, u can pick crabs up from 'behind' (opposite side of claws) and they can't reach u to hurt u.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 2:56AM
TulsaRose, Tulsa OK(7a)

Where are you located, Cherry? Are there any creeks nearby? A bird may have dropped it in your flowerbed. Your image looks like a crayfish...or, crawdad, as we okies refer to them. :-) They are related to lobsters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crayfish images

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 8:19AM
cherry67(6)

I live in middle Tn about an hour or so from the Tennessee/Alabama line. Yeah, I think it's a Crayfish AKA Crawdad or Mudbug. There aren't any streams nearby that I know of and the nearest lake is probably at least a couple of miles away. I read online that they will tunnel in people's yard sometimes. I had no idea. He was just crawling up in my flower bed like he owned the place lol. Needless to say I won't be going in my flower bed with flip flops on at night any more. I thought about picking him up, but then I got too scared. haha

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:01AM

I didn't know crawfish looked like that. I googled and didn't see any pics like that and we don't have em around here....so I learned something new (didn't find any crabs that looked like that either...lol).

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 11:41AM
canadiyank(6B)

So strange! Definitely a crayfish. We used to have one for a pet. Tasty eating, too, I hear, but I have never tried it.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 11:44AM
cherry67(6)

Yeah, I never would have imagined finding something so odd in my flower bed lol. If I'm ever in Louisiana I may try them(I hear they are a specialty there), but I won't be eating any straight out of the front yard. ðÂÂÂ

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 10:04PM
maifleur01

Look for a hole in the area with what appears pills of mud at the entrance. Around here we have what are called dry land crayfish. The hole is deep enough to remain moist. He will be eating all kinds of bugs and other stuff so welcome him.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 11:58PM
More Discussions
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
Any ideas what kind of peony is this one?
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows ( or guesses ) the peony...
AlexUnder
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
Sponsored Products
INSPIRE Q Solivita Black Bonded Leather Button Tufted Metal Poster Bed
Overstock.com
Pieced Pillow with Fringe 12" x 24" - PLATINUM (12X24)
$260.00 | Horchow
Modway Siesta Canopy Daybed in Espresso Red
Beyond Stores
Kaintiba Green 18 x 18 Patterned Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Diggin Active Boxset Dollhouse - 5516323
$49.98 | Hayneedle
Frozen Anna Throw & Plush Set
$18.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™