Peonies are a funny lot!!!

Calamity_J(z7bc)April 20, 2009

Hi There, newbie here, I bought a house 5 growing seasons ago...that's how I talk about this place...lol! And I was excited that I had a few plants here when I got here...one being a peony! It has NEVER bloomed...AND has had maaayyybee 4 flower buds that never bloomed. I went to a church/plant sale and bought a peony for $3 and it bloomed the same year AND has a bud on EVERY stalk as we speak!!!lol! I was gonna just give it away(THAT will teach it a lesson!!!lol) but feel bad to be giving someone else this DUD! So I'll try to remove some more dirt away from the roots and see if it was planted too deep...it's on borrowed time!!! lol! It's ironic that it was the one plant in the yard when I got here, that I was most excited about!!! Whascially Wabbit!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ralfsmom(5)

sometimes you have to threaten them. i had a crabapple that hardy bloomed for several years. and i decieded to take it down if it didn't bloom well one year. well it bloomed great and has done so for 3 years now. ralfs mom

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 7:04PM
suel41452

I had a peony that quit blooming because it was too close to my growing maple's root system and became shaded too much, so that's another possible reason for no bloom. When I moved it in fall, it bloomed fine.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 10:02AM
calistoga_al

This fall I would dig it up. You have no idea what the roots look like, or how deep it is planted. If all looks well I would replant at the correct depth after working finished compost into the planting location. If the present location is not in the full sun I would move it. Al

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 9:14AM
happyday(WI4a)

Maybe divide it this fall, too.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™