New Growth on Tree Peony

christine_zone5(zone 5 MI)April 24, 2009

I have 2 tree Peonies, and they are putting out new leaves from their stems/trunks. However, I noticed that new growth is also sprouting out of the ground, near the plants. Should I remove these ground sprouts now? I thought I read in the past that the ground sprouts are coming directly from the root (which is a different type of Peony) and they should be removed because they drain the tree peony of its energy.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Sometimes the sprouts of the main TP's trunk are emerging out of the ground. Those sprouts look similar to the above ground branches.
The sprouts growing from the herbaceous rootstock look differently and should be removed.

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 12:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodhors(z5 MI)

Sprout leaves being shaped differently than the TP leaves, is your clue if sprout is herbacous root or a new shoot off the TP itself.

From this group, I learned to plant my TP roots deep, letting the TP grow it's own roots over time and start sending up true shoots to increase the size.

So I usually wait, see what the new shoot looks like as it grows, before removeal or letting it continue to grow. Herbacous Peonies are just a stem, not with side buds for branching out. Leaves are usually coarser, and don't match the TP leaf shapes.

My newest TPs are getting buds, will be their first flowering since planting!! I am excited, they will be like little presents popping open. I think this is the third spring since planting. They were so LITTLE, now ready to flower! They don't seem to be getting up any faster, even with much staring at them, several times a day!!

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™