Peonies in pots

terrycinor(7)April 6, 2007

Hi I'm a newbie here but have been gardening for years. I, however, have not tried to grow peonies in a pot before, we moved last year and moved my 25 year old peonies with us. We are just renting so I don't want to plant them in the ground just to move them again. So last fall I put them in large pots they have started coming great but I'm wondering how long you can leave them in pots and not do them damage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I would guess that if the pot was wide enough, and deep enough, that they could live indefinitely in one. I would however keep an eye on them, if they are kept very many years, to see that they have not become too crowded for it.

Where are you located?

Welcome to Garden Web!

Sue

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 10:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrycinor(7)

Hi Sue we moved to southern Oregon from Nebraska, the poor peonies had to be moved in July along with some roses. 3 of the roses did fine but a couple didn't make it. 3 of the peonies did great and 3 other are so-so but hopefully by next year they will come out of it. The pots I put them in are 20"-24" somewhere around there so I think will be ok for a couple years anyway.
Terry

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™