Need Advice of transplanting a 35 year old tree peony

RobinHApril 20, 2014

I do not know the type as this was received as a flower of the month years ago. It has several stems coming out of the ground and coral colored flowers. The blooms are so large that they have to be supported. It is currently at the family home that is going to be put on the market. This has sentimental value to us so we will need to move it. It was my mom's pride and joy. So we do not have the option of waiting until Fall. My soil here is awful, yellow clay so I cannot transplant it here.

The base is probably about 14 inches across. My daughter wants to move this to her place but they plan on moving in the next few years so she was thinking of moving it to a large rolling pot.

Will a tree peony of this age take to be moved to a pot? Will the pot need to be moved indoors during the St Louis winters?

Any advice is welcome as we do not want to end up killing it while moving it.

Thanks,
Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

If you need to move it now, I would suggest at least waiting until leaves fully grow out and harden off a bit.

When you dig, it will be crucial to keep as much soil on the root ball as possible and use perhaps a 50 gallon pot to keep it alive. Try not to break or injure the brittle roots because they are all very important in keeping your tree peony healthy.

It's like performing a surgery on somebody. You really can't afford to break that many roots because when a tree peony is actively growing, it's starch can literally bleed out, and go into shock.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 2:43PM
RobinH

So can it be left out during the winter months or will it need to be moved indoors.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 12:27AM
stevelau1911

What climate zone are you in? If it gets too cold, it may be necessary to put a tarp over the potted tree peony along with a few buckets of water if you cannot get it into the ground right away.

It is not a good idea to over-winter a tree peony indoors because they need a dormancy period in order to be re-charged for the spring or else you could end up killing it.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 12:40AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

You could "plant" the pot right in the ground come winter. That would give the root ball more protection--then if they move, they can just dig up the pot and take it with them.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 12:45AM
Linda

I have tried the pot-in-the-ground method for various plants. You just need to be careful that there is good drainage and that the pot is not holding water.

Linda

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 12:52AM
More Discussions
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
cumulus_nimbus
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™