repotting a potted peony

muddauber7April 24, 2010

Hello folks,

I was given a Karl Rosenfeld peony today, it is in a half gallon pot. The friend who gave it to me moved into a house years ago that already had them growing in beds, so she could not tell me what to do with them. So here is my question: I would like to grow this peony in a container, what kind of soil do I need to fill my container when I transplant it from it's half gallon pot to a 7 gallon pot? I live in the DFW area of North Central Texas. Any advice will be appreciated and thanks in advance. Billy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Peonies do much better in the ground but I assume you have no choice. Peonies are long lived, I am sure all my peonies will out live me. Potting mixes unfortunately are not long lived. A seven gallon pot may look large when you lift it to move it but is still pretty minimum for a peony. Peat based soil mixes are short lived. Look for a bark based mix for a longer life. You may have a problem getting enough winter chill where you live. Peonies require a minimum of 400 hours below 45 degrees. If not enough chilling flower buds will not form. Plant high enough that your buds are exposed to air temperatures in the winter when the plant is dormant. Al

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™