Dry dead peonies from Walmart last summer

ryseryse_2004April 18, 2013

Last summer I bought them because they were 10 pkgs. for $1.00. I figured if even one came up, I was ahead. I planted them immediately and kept them watered throughout the drought. Nothing popped.

Today I went out to check on many peonies that were well established and then went to the place where the little dried-up thingies were planted. Guess what???????? Yep, some tiny little sprouts in several areas. I am amazed. Bruised, battered, neglected in their infancy --- some are going to make it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbest1(5)

Yeah for the underdog, runt of the litter, left over bargain bin peonies!!!!! Isn't it great when it works out like that?

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 11:16PM
aggiegrad(5)

10 packs for only a buck? wow! what a find. were they no name peonies? what a nice surprise, they will probably be prettier than the ones you already have established. hope they do bloom for you this year.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 3:20AM
ryseryse_2004

Yes, 10 cents a pack -- they were practically giving them away. (unnamed) Then, a couple of isles over, I saw a rack of flower/herb seeds that were 30 for $1.00. I saw that the seeds were from 2010 so I told the guy I would take them all for $1.00.

I have winter sown most of the varieties so it will be interesting to see what comes up. My own saved seeds are viable for many years but I keep them in a refrigerator and in zip lock baggies. Who knows where these seeds were kept.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 10:39AM
pdsavage(5/6)

I thought the same thing with mine and they came back. Will be watching for more peonies on clearance this year as well.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 6:21AM
lizbest1(5)

So RyseRyse, have any of your wintersown end o'season seeds sprouted yet? A few of the more hardy varieties have started to come up here, a lot of the ones I put out were from older seed, too.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 11:31AM
ryseryse_2004

Yes! Just about all of my jugs have some sprouts now. I was worried for awhile but spring is coming after all. I did find that milk jugs work best for me. I won't use the clear berry boxes again. They just dried out too fast even though I taped most of the holes shut.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™