Which plants cross-pollinate?

bookwyrme(9)July 12, 2005

Hi!

I've a passiflora incense growing vigorously and an alata, which I plan to transplant so that it will grow vigorously (right now it's competing too much with the already-established incense).

Anyway, I was planning on getting a 3rd passion vine in order to get fruit from the alata and, hopefully, the incense. Someone told me that a caerulea would be good for this--but which kind of caerulea? All I can find here is Passiflora alatocaerulea, which I'm told is a hybrid & sterile. Will it still cross-pollinate or should I hold out for some other kind? Would an edulis cross-pollinate with alata and incense?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
passionflow(8b)

ordinary caerulea will do the job
alatocaerulea won't. Be very careful re transplanting the alata-could easily kill it.
Myles

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 3:59PM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

Yup- caerulea. Get one & use it as a polinator- even better get 2 as they're not self fertile. I have a load of caerulea seeds- I could send you a couple if you want to go that route.

I've been trying to polinate my altocaerulea for years.. Nothing works.

And yes be carefull digging up that alata- keep as much of the rootball intact & undisturbed as possible- Frankly if it were me I'd be afraid so I wish you luck.

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 5:06AM
bookwyrme(9)

Thanks for the answers!

I would appreciate some seeds, Krstofer. Do you want some Incense cuttings in return?

I'll be as careful as I can with the alata. I'd rather leave it where it is, but have learned that a passion vine can out-compete and out-grow any other plant around--except another passion vine. Hopefully, a move to a place where the incense doesn't have a lock will let it grow.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
I am surprised
Hi, New to this forum, I became interested in Passion...
morningloree
First 'Oaklandia' Bloom of the Season
From this, March, after being frozen all the way back: To...
Northbay12
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™