Anyone have extra peony seeds

brownest_thumbApril 22, 2012

Hi,

I can't afford to buy the plants and don't have any neighbors to propagate from, but I do have patience :-). Does anybody have any extra seeds - I would send postage. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

I don't have any from this year's peonies, much too early. I have some left from last year if you don't want to wait.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 8:27AM
brownest_thumb

Thanks for the offer. Obviously fresher seeds are always better to start with, but as long as the germination rate doesn't suffer I wouldn't mind getting a head start. From what I understand these will take some time before they bloom!

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 10:23AM
smivies

Germination sucks unless the seeds are either planted immediately or stored moist in the fridge.

Germination is initiated by a long warm period (root forms) followed by a cold period (fridge) and can be brought out into the light and warmth when the first above ground growth emerges.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 4:25PM
stevelau1911

You can get them at 0.99 per 20 seeds on eBay, and their germination rate is supposed to be around 60%, and if you grow them correctly, you should have about that many of them germinate.

They key is that they need to be planted around 2 inches deep so that the pill bugs don't eat the seeds. It also prevents them from sprouting too early in the spring.

The best method that I've found after growing them for 3 years from seed is to put them directly into garden beds. If you plant them now, many of them should generate roots by around fall, and make sprouts for spring of the following year. If they don't sprout in 2013, some of them might take until 2014 as dormant seeds are a bit harder to germinate.

Here is a link that might be useful: my tree peony seedlings

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 5:59PM
pembroke(6--Louisville KY)

brownest thumb: what would be wrong with asking for some roots. I have some that needs moving and would be willing to share. I have several different colors. what zone are you in? could you pay part of postage? Pembroke

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™