Spring Planting for Tree Peonies

deirdre_2007(7)April 29, 2009

Good afternoon,

I'm new to this forum, but I've been a member of Gardenweb for years. I've been in love with Tree Peonies for many years, and I finally broke down and bought some online from Whitman Farms. I just received them today, and while I've been doing some reading on them, I wanted some advice before I actually put them in the ground. I wasn't worried until I read that I should have planted them in fall, so now I'm a bit concerned.

The plants were in containers when they were shipped to me. Two are at least three feet tall, one with a bloom still on it, and the other is almost two feet tall. They are all well leafed out and healthy looking.

I live in NC, zone 7, so my plan is to put them in my garden that gets partial sun/shade. This area will get shade all morning, but then sun (hot direct sun) after 1:00 pm. I have another area, that I could put them in that would get mostly dappled sun throughout the day.

I have clay soil. I plan on digging huge enormous holes and putting in compost mixed with peat moss. I also read to throw in a cup of raw bone meal.

So far does this sound like a good plan? If not, please offer all the advice you can, because I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to ensure their survival.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveinohio_2007(5)

Sounds like you got some nice plants.
Here in Oh, tps like lots of sun; they may need some shade in NC.
My planting holes are 18 inch dia X 18 inch deep; 24 X 24 might be better (and a lot more work).
Hopefully your vendor sent planting instructions.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 10:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

In my California garden I would choose the dappled shade location over full sun in the hottest part of the day. Amending the existing soil with compost I think is a good idea but that means mixing compost with your native soil, not using compost instead of your native soil. I never use peat or fertilizer as soil tests of my clay/loam soil have not indicated a need. I always plant tree peonies about four inches deeper than they were in the container. Your plants sound better than any I have ever planted. Al

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
Moving my Itoh peonies from IL to TN.
I dug these last November since I knew we might be...
ryseryse_2004
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
My one peony
We had an unusual hard freeze early last fall here...
bouldergrower
Sponsored Products
African Violet,Dieffenbachia and Ivy with Chest Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Sophie Planter - 33"H
Grandin Road
Algreen EcoCascata Rain Barrel - 81315
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Rust Pig Planter & Coco Liner Set
$19.99 | zulily
Red Carpet Studios Colorful Companion Chimes - 10711
$27.62 | Hayneedle