Wild passi, probably incarnata

billnjennJuly 28, 2006

I recently found an area that had many, many wild P. Incarnata growing on it. I dug up a vine and brought it home and tried to plant it, but the leaves have completely wilted, dried, and fallen off--even though I've watered them religiously. Should I try to make a cutting instead? Would it work this far into the season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jblaschke(8b TX)

It's possible you over-watered. Passis don't like wet feet--I found this out to my dismay through personal experience. I suggest you back off and see if the roots sprout new growth, watering only when the soil gets dry.

Alternately, you might go back to that field and harvest some ripe fruit and plant a bunch of those seeds where you'd like them to sprout next year. You should get some coming up next year.

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 1:06AM
billnjenn

I wasn't aware that didn't like to be kept moist. We were in an extremely hot pattern of temperatures during that time, so the soil was drying quite quickly. I have a P. Caerulea and P. Edulis, so I guess I can just wait and get some of the ripe fruit as there should be plenty--judging by what is on the vine now.

Will Incarnata flower the first season of planting from seed?

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 2:30PM
jblaschke(8b TX)

I'm not sure if it'll set fruit, but it will flower if you started the seed early in the spring. I started one from seed back last August, and put it in the ground around the beginning of April. It's pretty sprawling right now, with several dozen flower buds on it and half a dozen fruit.

It's easy to over-water these plants when the temperature goes up. I did the same thing back in May when we had a two-week stretch where it hit triple digits on the mercury. I actually likked a vitifolia and a tenuiloba by watering daily in the mistaken notion I needed to "compensate" for the unseasonable heat. Moderation, as with all things, is the key I've learned. ;-)

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 12:35AM
billnjenn

It's a good possibility that I overwatered, then. I was watering on a daily basis. I'm not really looking for fruit for the incarnata, just flowers as I would like to use the pollen for cross pollinating. Thanks for more information, though.

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 1:44AM
More Discussions
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
Passiflora 'Preciosa'
Fruit finally ripened- will check for seeds in a few...
passiefarm
Passionflower never bloomed in 3-4yrs
I was given a Passiflora vine about 4yrs. ago. I am...
rcharles_gw
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow in Southern California
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow...
annyonce
Sponsored Products
Horse and Colt Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Pacific Glenwood Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$399.00 | Bellacor
NCAA Tailgate Toss Cornhole Set - 5CFB-D-BWLGR
$76.75 | Hayneedle
Zwilling J.A. Henckels 16-piece Forged Synergy Knife Set
Overstock.com
Large Cymbidium Silk Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com