Are Peonies Ever Truly Dead?

lkaye(z5 WV)April 8, 2013

Okay, my favorite antique peony Peter Brand succumbed I believe to botryris(?) blight. Three years ago the leaves and stems turned dark splotched and dried up in mid summer.The next year there was very little growth and it did the same thing. Last year I don't think there was any spring growth or if there was it was one stem and it was dead within a couple of weeks. This used to be a huge and prolific bloomer. So I figured the tubers were all dead and dried up and when I went to plant something else there yesterday, the tubers are still there and nice and crisp and pink inside but no eyes. Of course I didn't know this until I whacked it in several pieces with the shovel. Any way to restore a dormant/dead peony to force eyes??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

Most itoh peony roots will produce eyes pretty easily however with herbaceous roots, it still happens, but not as often.

I would suggest digging it up, then potting it up in well drained soil to give it as much of a chance as possible. Adding azomite for the minerals, and some sort of fungicide should help it recover.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™