then and now plus some fun airplane photos

P.J._in_MDMarch 18, 2012

Just got a chance to get a close look around the yard. Some then and now:

April 2011

March 2012 (no protection this winter)

May 2011

March 2012 (no protection this winter)

waggie (never had protection except burlap first 2 years). That emerging spear is all new growth in last couple weeks.

I didn't bring the philodendrons back from FL but did get some of this. I want to put it outside but fear the birds will take it.

Came home to opening trees which is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule.

Winter survivors?? Maybe too early to tell but I see some green among the damage.

Sago (no protection)

Robusta (mulch, leaves, and an upside down planter)

As I might have mentioned, I've been traveling quite a bit. Here are some areas of the country I captured from 35,000 feet via my iPhone and iPad.

Sunset leaving Texas...

Love this pattern over Illinois...

The beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia...

Sun makes the ocean look like ice in Florida...

A little hard to see but looking south from Clearwater, St. Pete, with Bradenton at the top...

National Wildlife Refuge in bottom right and looking south to Crystal Beach and Galveston Beach at top left...

A lone thunderstorm popping up over North Carolina...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Great pics! I really like seeing comparison pics. Looks like things grew very well in your yard this past year!
I always try to get the window seat on the airplane for a reason! The view from an airplane is always amazing (even at night when you get to see all the city lights!) The thunderhead in NC looks like something you would see in June, not March! I really like that sunset pic in TX!

Your sago definitely might have some life in it! I wouldnt dig it up just yet! My sago is long gone (it was potted so it didnt stand a chance), but my Dioon Edule in the ground still looks good. The frond is still mostly green (frond is singular since it only has 1 so far!). Its very slow to flush and didn't make a single flush in the 1 1/2 years that I have had it for, so I guess maybe it will this summer!

Thanks for sharing! And definitely find a protected spot for that spanish moss for now. I lost about 75% of my moss to birds 2 years ago, but they didnt bother with it after the nesting season was over.
-Alex

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 2:57AM
chadec(N.C.7b)

Great photos, looks like your agave is going to outgrow its space soon! I have a small cycad taitungensis that has all yellow fronds now. I'm hoping to see a new flush before long too!

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 9:26PM
P.J._in_MD

thanks Alex. It was a great year with the summer heat and warm winter. My plants could have seen more growth if it weren't for the drought last summer. Most of us in the US saw a great winter that should springboard us into summer 2012. some of those plane pics were taken over the past several months but the thunderhead was just this past Friday. Crazy weather! Dumb question...when is nesting season over? I assume May?

Thanks chadec. I got the agave from Plants Delight. It's an agave salmiana 'Crazy Horse' (Crazy Horse Hardy Century Plant) rated 7b-10. My waggie is from them too...I'm very impressed with the health of their plants.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Winter coming...
I would like to know if I should put these young Sago...
chez54
Mexican Fan Palm Tree - Fronds Turning Yellow/Brown
Hi everyone, I live north of Dallas, TX and have a...
RedRayderz01
Keeping Majestic Palm HELP
How to keep Majestic Palm alive in Northern Virginia...every...
marie13100
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
Anyone know a nursery where i can buy Windmill Palms?
Hey there guys i'd like to purchase some windmill palms...
MileHighGardener
Sponsored Products
Roman Soler by Nameeks US-4796 Hand Held Shower Bracket US-4796 Multicolor - RAM
$217.99 | Hayneedle
Hoppi Satin Nickel Four-Light Bath Fixture with Mocha/Clear Glass
$463.50 | Bellacor
Avenue Multicolored Accent Rug (8'x 11')
Overstock.com
5'' x 7'' Crystal Cluster Border Frame
$14.99 | zulily
Brella Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Cherry Glass
$166.50 | Bellacor
New Orleans French Gold One-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Wall Sconce, 4.
$229.00 | Bellacor
Dogit Tank Top - Purple - 90224
$15.99 | Hayneedle
Ah Choo Pepper Mill
$11.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™