Maypop questions

Sheri_MS(z8 MS)July 5, 2005

I bought and planted a maypop vine in my butterfly garden. It bloomed a lot at first, but now has stopped. Is the blooming period just over? It is still growing like crazy. Can I cut it back so it doesn't take over? I don't want to upset it. I would also like to know if I can root cuttings of this somehow if I do cut it back. Thanks in advance for helping a beginner.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

They should continue to bloom over the summer into fall/first frost. Maybe it's just taking a rest. You won't need to take cuttings - new plants will pop up all over your yard next year. Yes, you could cut it back some. Maybe just cut every other vine in case it decides to begin blooming again.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 9:08PM
jamesco

Mine have seemed to do a little bloom before the major growth that precedes major bloom later. Big vines make more flowers!

Enjoy those babies,
James

Bookmark   July 8, 2005 at 12:35AM
montyburns(z6a MA)

I have brought my potted maypop indoors for the winter, its growing fairly well, but my question is this: Does this plant want to grow UPWARDS? As opposed to growing and spilling downwards from the hanging pot it is in? It seems the new shoots and portions that are growing upwards are growing more vigorously than those that are hanging down...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 11:24AM
kiwinut

Where is the light? I would think it will try to grow toward the light.

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 3:01PM
phaltyme21(5-6)

I am in southeast Michigan and our friends next door and my husband and I are having the most fun with our Maypop vine.

I planted it on the fence between our lots. Well, it seemed to disappear one spring only to come up alongside their house (north side, at that). This was in an area occcupied by altheas. The next spring, we couldn't find it. Woe, woe woe. We just got in a hurry, it came up and started covering the altheas, we all got busy, found a trellis, some cord and anything else we could find for tying up plants. Forget it, let it grow--cut it back when it gets to obstreperous--and enjoy. Such beautiful flowers, it grows along our driveway and is a pleasure.

I think you can trim it with no trouble. It dies back during the winter where we are and then comes up quite late.

We are having a lot of fun with this plant. It smells good, too.

Kay

Bookmark   November 18, 2006 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Passiflora 'Preciosa'
Fruit finally ripened- will check for seeds in a few...
passiefarm
interested in breeding cold tolerant passiflora for flowers and f
Hi all. I recently moved to a cold climate and is like...
caricapapaya
passiflora caerulea
I have a packet of Passiflora caerulea seed. I tried...
theodosiaunderwood
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™