damaged tree peony

tonks(8 GA)April 22, 2005

i have 4 healthy new peony trees that seem to be florishing...and then there is the "one on the end". it was damaged in shipment and is clinging to life. the new growth has been 1/3 of the way snapped off. it looks better than it did when we first planted it but i am concerned that there is something i can do for it. and then i am concerned that my actions will only hurt the plant. what should i do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodhors(z5 MI)

I would contact the shipper, tell them that plant was damaged in shipment. What do they suggest? They have to have a problem department for these kinds of things. I don't think you can do much to fix new growth stubs that are damaged. Plant might be fine with less foliage, but came damaged. Shipper should be helpful on answers.

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 7:25PM
tonks(8 GA)

oh! i have a replacement on the way but i'd hate to just throw the tree away.

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 7:32PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Remove the broken stem cleanly. No flowers from it this year, but it will resprout nicely next year. It will likely become bushier than the others because of this "pruning", which might mean more flowers at a young age, or it might mean no flowers at all until it becomes strong enough to put buds on all those shoots :)

Plant it deeply to avoid forcing suckers from the root stock and help the plant to establish its own roots.

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 5:43PM
tonks(8 GA)

thank you. i have noticed signs of life from other parts of the plants and this, with your advice, gives me hope.

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
cumulus_nimbus
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™