swap meet squash question

OklaMoniJune 20, 2012

Who had squash plants at the swap meet? I went home with one. I got the following squash:

But I am not familiar with that kind. How large should I let it get?

Is it ready to harvest?

Moni

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soonergrandmom

I would pick it now. It is a 'patty-pan' type, and sometimes called white scalloped, and used as a summer squash. You can eat them from very small up to about the size of yours. The shape is awkward, but the taste is good. You can also find seed for a bright yellow one in the same shape, and several other colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:37PM
OklaMoni

Thanks soonergrandmom! I went right out and cut it off. Got two small ones, about the size of a silver dollar. Will wait till tomorrow or the day after for those.

:)

Thanks a bunch, to whomever brought that plant. I grew pretty well, while I was gone riding the Oklahoma FreeWheel.

Moni

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:55PM
tigerdawn(7)

I brought the pattypan squash. It is my favorite summer squash. I slice it up and down (trying to make circles ends up badly) about 1/4-1/2" thick and either sautee it or bake it with olive oil, salt and papper. This summer I have experimented and I also like it with garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary. The salt, pepper, and rosemary combo is my favorite.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 10:16PM
biradarcm(7b)

Pattypan squash is great for stuffed grilling as well. I slice top potion and remove inside stuff and chaff it and mix with cheese, garlic, salt and pepper and some herbs ans spice and fill it back and grill it with olive sprinkled on it..

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 3:05PM
OklaMoni

Well, it was delish! I had it with some angel hair pasta this evening.

I sliced it. Sprinkled it with rosemary powder on one side.. turned it over in grape seed oil, and sprinkled garlic salt on the other side. Then I grilled them on george foreman.

Just delish.

Need to harvest some more tomorrow. :)

Moni

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Cover crops that help with root rot
I just listened to a soil health talk on the web. My...
johnnycoleman
Ark. traveler tomato
Some one sent me a few seeds last yr. and I didn't...
sorie6
New subjects and thread drift
I see some threads get off topic quite often. I have...
oldbusy1
milky spore
I've been reading if you get rid of grubs you won't...
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™