Newly discovered peonies, now what?

noinwiApril 3, 2013

DH and I moved into his folk's home back in November. Due to health problems they had to move closer to medical facilities. Their property hadn't been maintained for several years and I just discovered two clumps of peonies struggling to come up through the thick grass and blackberry canes. I cleaned up as much as I could, but the grass roots are still thick around the peony stems and the stems are about 12"-15" tall and spindly/tender looking.
I was reading that this is about the time to fertilize them, but working granular fert into the soil around them would likely damage them. Could I just give them a shot of liquid fert(MG type)now and work at loosening the soil later in the season? I've never grown peonies before. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Having no idea as to your soil I can only relate my experiences. The weeds I pull from among the peony shoots trying to get their roots if possible. You should be able to locate the width of the peony root by probing with your fingers. Beyond that point I would scratch into your soil about 3 inches of finished compost. I have never found commercial fertilizer to be needed. You may need to support your bloom stems. To be safe you could do that now. Al

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

Thanks Al. I pulled as much of the grass roots as I could...they're pretty thick. This property is a wetland with lots of clay but the peonies are in a couple of small raised beds(well, one clump is in just a mound of soil) that were probably filled with bagged potting soil. I'll just have to wait and see if they do in fact bloom as I have no idea how(deep)they were planted, or how long they've been there. Good that I don't need to worry about ferts. If they don't bloom, I'll dig them up and replant in the fall. I should be able to find supports of some type around here...we're cleaning up a lot of yard junk. I'll try to post a photo later. Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
cumulus_nimbus
Moving my Itoh peonies from IL to TN.
I dug these last November since I knew we might be...
ryseryse_2004
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Sponsored Products
Belmont Old Bronze One-Light 22-Inch High Pendant with Clear Glass
$850.00 | Bellacor
Siesta Canopy Outdoor Patio Daybed in Espresso Orange
$999.00 | LexMod
Westinghouse 4-1/2 in. x 4-3/4 in. Amber Ribbed Bell 8125900
$5.97 | Home Depot
Clear Bowl Tempered Glass Vessel Bathroom Sink
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Peridot Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
Red Cedar Square Patio Dining Set
Fifthroom.com
ACF by Nameeks ACF CP02-W City Play 30-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Wenge Mu
Hayneedle
Artemide | Tolomeo LED Wall Spot Light
$440.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™