Will Peonies Freeze? should I cover?

plantgal(z3 MN)April 22, 2005

My peonies are up about a foot high. They are talking about freezing weather tonight. I have so many and they are all over the place. do I need to cover them?

Thank you in advance for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodhors(z5 MI)

Have you got any kind of tarp, plastic or sheets you can use for coverings? I would put up some sticks or cages first, to hold coverings from squashing plants, then just cover the plants if possible. Pin down or weight the cover edges to prevent blowing off with a rock or piece of wood, just any heavier stuff. It is going to depend on how cold, how long, snow stays around, how much damage gets done.

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 7:31PM
mary_lu_gw

I've been wondering the same thing. Supposed to get down to 28-30 tonight and tomorrow night. My peonies are all up and have buds. On one the foliage has turned green already and has buds the size of a nickle. I think maybe I should cover?
Mary Lu

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 7:58PM
getyourleash(z7 Mid-Atl USA)

I wouldn't use plastic, as it doesn't breathe and tends to encourage mold and rot...Peonies are pretty tough. If you have expensive or delicate varieties by all means cover them. We are expecting a 32 degree night here Monday, and I don't plan on doing a thing. Mine have been just fine even after a sudden snow or frost.

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™