Bismark Palm germination

larrm(6b)March 17, 2011

As the root system is very brittle once germinated and this palm does not do well when transplanted has anyone tried germinating in peat pots and then planting peat pot with germinated Bismark palm into a larger container? There should be less root disturbance than germinating in a plastic bag or tupperware container and having to transplant germinated seed. I feel it would be easier controlling heat and humidity in a smaller container than germinating in a large pot at the get go as some growers recommend.

My seeds once they hopefully germinate will be for indoor planting, and moved outdoors in summer months. Hopefully moving them outdoors will not harm them as they are such touchy palms as to disturbance.

Thanks for any and all replies

Larrm (Palm Lover in Ontario Canada)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzrddr(91360)

sounds like a good idea, but if they do germinate, they will not like being indoors much. this palm NEEDS sun, even as a dinky seedling.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 9:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larrm(6b)

Thanks for the reply, If the seeds germinate (in a germinator at present) I plan on supplimenting artificial lighting, I realise there are other palms more suited to indoor culitivation, (also germinating several others)
but this one would be a challange !

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 7:14AM
More Discussions
Survival of up rooted Palm.
I'm in coastal NC Z8b. Builders dropped off a up rooted...
camaross94
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Help! What is wrong with my Windmill Palm?
My windmill palm is approximately 6 yrs old. Today...
lulupalooza06
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™