my peonies barely bloom

sbh2inNYApril 20, 2005

We have some very old peonies that we transplanted from our old house when we moved to a new one five years ago. They keep coming up year after year, but last year was the first time since we moved here that we got any blooms at all. I think we had a grand total of 5 or 6 smallish flowers. I've heard that peonies can live to be very old and still produce flowers, so what's wrong with mine? I fertilize in the spring, but maybe I'm not using the right stuff. Help!

Thanks,

Beth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
getyourleash(z7 Mid-Atl USA)

Perhaps they are crowded? I had a 50+ year old hedge of peonies and I separated some three years ago. I now have enough peonies to cut and bring inside, and bring to my mother or neighbors. They remind me of friendship bread - you just keep diving the starter and it makes loaf after loaf of bread. After separating my peopnies I got 4X as many blooms and now have an additional mass planting of them.

Bookmark   April 20, 2005 at 8:22PM
bizykatbird(z7 NC 281)

I had the same problem. Moved the plants to our new house and had no blooms for 5 years. I think I had them in too much shade. I moved them this spring to a full sun location. They all have buds and I am hoping they will be big and beautiful like before. I was also told not to plant them too deep, so you make want to check that.
Kathy

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 10:06AM
MizJoy(z8 OR)

They need lots of sun and don't plant too deep. When I plant, I put a handfull of bone meal in the bottom of the planting hole and a shovel full of composted manure. What kind of fertilizer are you using? It's possible that it's promoting new foliage growth at the expense of the flowers. The link below is for a website for a company that grows the most beautiful peonies I've ever seen. Check out the peony care portion of their website. I've visited their farm in the spring. They have fabulous display gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Peonies

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™