How long to leave Royal Palm fronds tied?

jcuvielloMarch 27, 2010

About 3 weeks ago I had 2 Royal Palms planted at my house by my landscaping service. The palms were delivered and planted with the fronds tied with twine and my gardener just left them tied up. How long am I supposed to leave them tied? What is the reason for tying up the fronds? I'm in Central Florida. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
statenislandpalm7a(7a)

It's not neccesary at all unless the palm was shade grown. You can untie them.

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 2:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joey_powell(8b (15.1F) USDA 2012)

I agree. I'll admit I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with this. But nurseries always do this...I guess to minimize the risk of water stress on the plant due transpiration through the leaves.

After I got two big ones they told me to leave them tied for 2-4 weeks. I didn't understand so I did some research. As it turns out, most all palms (except for a few like Sabal Palmetto) benefit from leaving ALL the green fronds on and not tying at all...all of this provided that you sufficiently irrigate the palm until it gets established.

Of course the nursery (the same one providing the guarantee on the plants!?) has no way of knowing if you are going to do that. I think that's why they always cut them and tie them.

Of course cutting and tying them also facilitates moving them...But if you are going to water them regularly then definitely untie them! Just my two cents...

Ref: http://ceventura.ucdavis.edu/files/47943.pdf

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™