Miniature cycads for container growing

winnjoe(MTL)March 24, 2013

Hello
I see the phrase "miniature cycads" occasionally but I can't find a list of cycads that categorizes them. Is there a good site with a list like that? Or what do you recommend for indoor container growing?
Thanks.
Joe, in Montreal

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Sago cycads aren't minature but they are good for containers. Lots of Zamias are good for containers also, like the Florida Coontie.
-Alex

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 2:59PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

E. Manikensis is a medium one, not really a miniature, it grows only up to approx. 1.5 m = 5 ft.

I am waiting for my cycads to arrive in 1-2 days! Yay!! One of them is an Encephalartos Manikensis.

Here is a link that might be useful: E. Manikensis

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 1:50AM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

E. Manikensis is a medium one, not really a miniature, but it grows only up to approx. 1.5 m = 5 ft.

I am waiting for my cycads to arrive in 1-2 days! Yay!! One of them is an Encephalartos Manikensis.

Here is a link that might be useful: E. Manikensis

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 1:51AM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Double post! I don't know how this happened, I'm sorry. :)

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 1:52AM
pabloverde(Z7 Atanta GA)

Hi Joe,

You don't say what you mean by "miniature". How big can the plant get? "Indoor container growing" is also a key consideration. Most cycads love lots of sun. You will be looking for an understory plant that doesn't get too big.

As Alex mentioned, lots of Zamias would fit the bill. I have Z. kickii and Z. pumila. Both would fit the bill and both have the "traditional" cycad look. Z. splendens and natelenis (?) are also really cool plants but they don't typically have an above ground caudex. Stangeria eriopus is also a cool cycad that stays small and would take lesser light.

If you've got more room, Cycas daeboensis is nice too. Keep in mind that most cycads don't grow very fast, so get a small one and you may not live long enough for it to outgrow your space.

Paul

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 2:01PM
winnjoe(MTL)

Thanks all. This is helpful.

I don't know what I mean by miniature! I've seen the word used but haven't really found a list or a description. But you're right - it might be the next generation that has to worry about it if it gets too big!
Joe

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
How to trim a half dead palm..
Hello! I have a large palm that has been in my house...
thrghbrdjmpr
Trimming Cycad Fronds
I have two King Sago Palms, in pots, in my enclosed...
mamaheel
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™