Build yourself a 'cloning box'

Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))August 26, 2005

I made a cloning box last year for my cuttings & posted the instructions here- SOme one recently asked me about it & it appears that thread has succomed to the cleaning crew.. So I wrote it again & pit it on my site.

You can check it out here.

It works very well- 2 weeks ago I put a bunch of sunburst & serrato-digitata cuttings in there- Yesterday or the day before I checked them and almost all were rooted so I transplanted them to dirt filled pots & put them outside.

Now I can trim some of the ones who are going crazy & make some trade items.

Anyway- now all can have the information again. Enjoy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cincinnata(S. Spain)

Greatful thanks for putting it somewhere it won't disappear! I have told a lot of people about it and from now on I can give them the link. BTW I don't know if you have the book 'Farbatlas Passionsblumen' by Bettina & Torsten Ulmer (recommended by Myles when I visited him) but I have just received it from Amazon. I think it would interst you as over half the book is on hybrids and it gives photos and the parentage - its quite incredible the different flowers produced by the same cross. There is minimal text in German/English but the photos are excellent.

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 3:41AM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

I actually just bought one from Amazon.de - It's on it's way from Germany as I type.

Upgraded my box too- Went and picked up the biggest "tote" type thing I could find- And lined the inside with mylar film. NOw more light gets bounced back toward the plants- And with 8 bulbs in there lumens / sq foot shouldn't be a problem. It's about 18" tall so the heat from the bulbs should easily escape before it fry's the plants.. At lest I hope.

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 11:49PM
cincinnata(S. Spain)

Krs, just so you can see your invention is crossing boundaries. I explained it to a young medical student who is just getting interested in gardening and this is what he has come up with - and he's very pleased with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Juan Andres' box

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 6:54AM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

Nice!
Only thing is, if the 2 "chimney's" are the only holes in the box, then 1 must be shorter tham the other, say 2" for 1 & 24" for the other, or there will be no airflow.

Cold air in the short one, hot out the tall.

Good to know you guys are building them, and they're workin' well!

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 9:54AM
cincinnata(S. Spain)

Thanks Krs, I'll pass the info along re: the chimneys.

Bookmark   September 13, 2005 at 3:11AM
More Discussions
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™