Maypop's and Passion fruit the same??

tglovell(z6KY)August 3, 2008

I have a passion vine that I found growing wild, planted in the fall of last year, this year it is covering one side of my porch and has fruit hanging from it. I have been reading other post that were talking about maypops and the discription is the same as the fruit from my passion vine, the fruit is about the size of a lemon, green and has no pulp on the inside just lots of white seed. I'm sure the fruit is not ripe yet for the seeds to still be white but will it not have any pulp in it when ripen and is this fruit okay to eat? The bloom on mine is the exact bloom that is at the top of this forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rialira

maypop is a common name for passiflora incarnata. yep, same thing.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 7:06PM
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

if the seeds are not yet black you will find that the fruit is not ripe.

~Chills

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 7:59PM
karyn1(7a)

They don't really get pulp but the seeds are surrounded by arils that are filled with juice when ripe. I think it smells kind of like Hawaiian Punch (which I think is flavored with passion fruit).
Karyn

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 6:58AM
kiwinut

"Passion fruit" is somewhat of a generic term for any fruit from a Passiflora, but is most commonly used for the commercially grown fruit from P. edulis. Maypops are closely related, and some taste similar to P. edulis when fully ripe. In order to taste a ripe one, you will need to let the fruit drop off the vine on its own. Don't pick it. After it falls off, let it sit in a cool dry spot indoors for a few days until the outside starts to wrinkle. At this stage, it should be as good as it will get. I find that most maypops have a "Hawaiian Punch" type of flavor, but also an unpleasant aftertaste.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Florida Collectors-Update
I ran across an old thread that was pretty informative,...
morningloree
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
I am surprised
Hi, New to this forum, I became interested in Passion...
morningloree
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™