moving a tree peony????

gardengirl_nancy(Z5 Midwest)April 27, 2007

We are moving soon and I want to take one of my tree peonies with me. This one is smaller and younger than the others, maybe a foot and a half tall. How deep are their roots? Do you think it will survive? Should I try leaving it in a pot until fall, or should I put it back into the ground as soon as possible? I would never attempt to move the larger ones for fear of killing them, but this one I thought maybe, just maybe, I could get away with it. What do you think? THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cody_mi(z5 MI)

dig around it about 12 inches from the main stem. dig deep! have a garbage bag or pot of burlap ready. leaving as much dirt around it as possible, move it to whatever you chose to transport it. put it back in the ground as soon as possible at your new location. if you can, wait till it goes dormant. otherwise do it now and water it well.

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 3:04PM
goodhors(z5 MI)

Be careful of the roots, try to get a very large pot to sit tree into as protection while moving it. The tree peony roots break very easily, just snap off.

I think I would go around tree peony a little further out than Cody, see what I ran into. Then move closer if no roots visible. My roots were deep under main stem.

I moved mine in late Summer, watered it a lot before winter set in. I tend to baby mine the first year, used a rose collar as wind protection, filled with leaves or sawdust after freezing sets in. Then remove collar about when the Daffodils start blooming, ground is softer not freezing deep anymore. They made the move, though I was sure I had killed one. They even bloomed!! I was very surprised at that.

If you have to move now, it is best to take the plant when you go. Planning to come back doesn't seem to work well, or even happen. Take the plant, give it your best shot, hope for a good ending.

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 11:11PM
subtropix

I just transplanted my tree peony about two weeks ago in anticipation of my moving. I put it into a pot and found it transplanted easily and is growing vigorouly now in a pot. So, it should be fine for you.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Sponsored Products
Hotel Madison 400 Thread Count Down Alternative Pillow (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Gracie Inspired 6 Drawer Dresser - White - ENLB1488
$779.99 | Hayneedle
Zenner Unique Metal Full over Full Bunk Bed - IDF-BK1036BW
Hayneedle
Melissa Graves-Brown 'Dreaming Trio' Framed Art Print
Overstock.com
Space Pro Closet Organization Relax 6 in. Aluminum Side Wall Adaptor Silver
$5.29 | Home Depot
SLV Lighting | Square Turn Floor Outdoor Bollard
$214.00 | YLighting
Refurbished World Cup Pinball Machine