A year ago

maifleur01April 9, 2008

Just a reminder that Easter last year was on April 9th and that week temperatures plunged all the way to the Gulf of Mexico, I am hoping that the cold front that is approaching from the west is not a repeat of last year. My temperature was below 32F and went to 16F before the end. I lost an entire breeding year and some plants because the temperatures had been very mild and they froze.

Watch your plants this year because the complete damage caused last year may not show up for several years. I believe the Heartland Peony Society is still looking for information on how peonies acted and if there was a long term effect.

The one thing I have noticed is that most tps to not have side shoots being sent up from the sides of branches only from the top buds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowergirl70ks

Here is one thing I have noticed, I have done more pruning of dead wood on tree peonies in the last few years than ever before. Of course some of them are over 40 years old. However it's not just the old ones. I do have a lot of new shoots coming from the ground this year. Temps went down to 32 last nite, and we had some snow or rather ice balls.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™