Planting seeds P. edulis flavicarpa

malso01August 16, 2014

What is the best time for plant P. edulis seeds and for re-planting? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
passiefarm(9A)

You can germinate at any time, although here in central Florida spring and summer is the best time to get some growth in before winter. Seed germinates the fastest when fresh. They tend to sit and not grow much during cool weather. Maximum growth occurs during warm and humid seasons.

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 9:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ChinampaTom

I planted mine here in Fort Lauderdale (9b, if I'm not mistaken) about just less than 2 years ago. I forgot to individuate the best seedlings and now it's a jungle...

Anyway, I finally got flowers about a month ago and I've been anxiously awaiting fruit growth. Today I went out and to my surprise, I saw my first several fruit (the largest being ping pong ball sized).

To my second surprise,they don't grow from the stem immediately below the flower, but rather from the ball shaped thing on the stamen (I did not know that!). To date (almost 4 years) I cannot get my P. Incarnata to fruit, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the P. edulis much better anyway, as the name suggests...

I'm just surprised (third surprise, ha!) that NOW as we approach our "winter" this tropical fruit vine is finally fruiting...does anyone thing that will affect the maturation of the fruit, keeping in mind that it also tends to get dry this time of year?

Bookmark   November 2, 2014 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Florida Collectors-Update
I ran across an old thread that was pretty informative,...
morningloree
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Passionflower never bloomed in 3-4yrs
I was given a Passiflora vine about 4yrs. ago. I am...
rcharles_gw
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™