Transplanting Tree Peony

fragrant(z5 ON)April 4, 2009

I bought a tree peony at our local nursery. The peony has some tender new growth. It was in a warm nursery showroom. Our temperatures over the next week are going to below normal. The temperatures are going down to a low of 14F to 24F with highs just above freezing.

Because of the new tender growth, I was wondering if I should keep the peony indoors for now, and begin a hardening off process once the daytime highs are closer to mid 40s or so. Would you suggest a week or so of hardening off before planting in the garden?

Also, my other question is will it hurt the tree peony to be kept indoors for a couple of weeks if necessary before planting outdoors?

Thank you kindly for your advice,

Betty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

You evidently bought your tree peony in a container and it won't hurt it to wait for better weather to plant it. If you have a protected area cooler than the house temperatures with good light, I would keep it there. In the garden peonies do not usually grow tender new growth until the frost that could damage it are over. Al

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 10:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue_in_nova_scotia

Betty, I would not leave it out overnight. I would harden it off slowly, first on the shady side of the house and then to the sunny side. Last year I bought several that were grown in nurserys and were much ahead folagewise to their in the garden counterparts. I dug a hole where i wanted to plant them and put the plant (still in the pot) in the hole. If a frost came I just took the pot into the garage, when we were clear of frosts I just plunked it in the already dug hole.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™