On the Soil or Below the soil

reptile1234August 16, 2006

Hi i was wondering how the depth of the passiflora seed will effect germination do they germinate better above or below only a light covering of soil and a larger covering of soil the soil any help is much appreciated.

PS sorry for the large amount of questions i have fruit off a plant bought almost ready for harvest so i thought i may aswell try to grow some.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fluffygrue(z8 UK)

In my experience, they germinate best regardless of depth. I've had them germinate fine on the surface, a bit under the surface, and in a wet paper towel.

Good luck. :)

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 6:28PM
reptile1234

Thanks i'll try on the surface i think as i heard light can help them germinate.

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 8:34AM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

LOL.. Passi seeds can take bloody ages to sprout no matter what you do- hence all the rumors of what works best. WHen I first started (sheesh, can it be?) 12 years ago I couldn't get any to sprout to save my life. I soaked 'em in all kinds of fluids, put 'em on the surface, buried 'em, used a heat mat, sang to 'em, scarified 'em.. About the only thing I didn't do was smoke 'em.

Still, nothing happened. I finally gave up & for many years I simply bought clones. Only in the past 3 years have I gotten into seeds again- And the 1 thing I've learned to make 'em sprout? Patience.
Some sprout in a week, yeah. I've seen some take 2 years or more.. I have a couple right now in the back yard- Volunteers. NO idea what they are as that's where I throw my old seed starting mix. WHoever moves in will get to see what they are- If they don't whack 'em down as a weed.

So how do I do it? Cross my fingers & toes & keep breathing as I wait. That's it.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
interested in breeding cold tolerant passiflora for flowers and f
Hi all. I recently moved to a cold climate and is like...
caricapapaya
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
I am surprised
Hi, New to this forum, I became interested in Passion...
morningloree
Passionflower never bloomed in 3-4yrs
I was given a Passiflora vine about 4yrs. ago. I am...
rcharles_gw
Florida Collectors-Update
I ran across an old thread that was pretty informative,...
morningloree
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™