Passiflora seedling time frame...?

wirtlo(z6 NV)August 23, 2005

Hey all,

I have some passiflora coccinea and mollissima (or maybe caerulea, but most likely mollissima). I was wondering what the time frame is on how long it takes to get to be 6" or 12" or however long. My seedlings are about 2 or 3 weeks old and have only put out 1-3 minature leaves. They are in a light box (w/ a very intence compact flourescent and the sides are painted white to reflect some light around). Anyway, passiflora time frame? Thanks! Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

Couple weeks / months or so, depending.

Stop looking at them every day & you'll be suprised at how fast they grow.

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 12:13PM
spiderwoman(z6so.cent.PA)

I have a tray of P. caerulea that I started on 5/21. I soaked the $eed overnight and sprouted them in a divided tray. I think there was about 100% germination (seems like MORE) and the young plants took forever to start putting out typical passi leaves (that is, divided). It was so long that I almost convinced myself that I had started something besides passis. They are now about 18-24" long and twining around each other and anything else in their path! No sign of fl*wer bud$ though. I have moved them into 4" pots and am trying to trade some of them so that I don't have to winter so many of them.
I was wondering if there is a possibility of you having your plant$ outside in the sun? I think that would certainly encourage their growth.
Regards,
spiderwoman

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 6:53PM
jblaschke(8b TX)

I'm currently trying to sprout incarnata, edulis and flavicarpa seed$. I had them outside in direct sun (in shrinkwrap-covered cups to preserve moisture/humidity) which worked... to an extent. I've had three incarnata sprout before the end of the first week--but too late I realized that the intense Texas sun was frying them. I've since moved the whole lot to an area shaded by an adolescent pomegranate bush, so while they're still quite warm, most of the sunlight they're getting is indirect and/or filtered.

I fear the three early sprouters sacrificed themselves due to my ignorance, however. :-( So depending on what zone you're in, be careful with direct sun early on.

Bookmark   September 9, 2005 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
interested in breeding cold tolerant passiflora for flowers and f
Hi all. I recently moved to a cold climate and is like...
caricapapaya
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
Passion flower not making flowers!
Hello all! A few years ago I bought a grafted black...
patchyjack
Passionflower never bloomed in 3-4yrs
I was given a Passiflora vine about 4yrs. ago. I am...
rcharles_gw
Sponsored Products
Simple Living Parson Black and Silver 5-Piece Dining Table and Chairs Set
Overstock.com
Furniture of America Torina 5 Piece Counter Height Table Set - Oak Multicolor -
Hayneedle
Tremba Semi Flushmount/Mini Pendant by Kichler
$297.00 | Lumens
Meditub 30x60 Right Drain Biscuit Air Jetted Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Carved Cornice Estate Mirror
FRONTGATE