Gulf frits totally out of hand

bkay2000August 28, 2009

I have been inundated with butterflies this year. At any given time, you can see multiple GF flying around. Constance Elliott is their favorite. It's almost denuded. The other type, which I think is a maypop has tons of caterpillars on it, but still has lots of greenery.

I'm beginning to get concerned about my CE. There are almost no leaves left. It seems like every stem has a caterpillar on it. When this plant was young, I kept the caterpillars picked off it. After it got big, I quit worrying about it.

Now, I'm worried. I would hate to lose it. I would also hate to have to pick off all those caterpillars.

Any ideas?

barbara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianamark(9)

Hi Barbara,

I'd find a few pieces of vine/stem that haven't been chewed, and take cuttings from them. When the cats run out of leaves, they will eat the green off of the stems, and can kill the mother plant.

Good luck!
Mark

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 6:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bkay2000

Thanks, Mark

I decided to start picking them off. 20 or 30 a day should help. I also have one across the yard that I can take cutting off of if I have to. It's young, so they just started on it. I think I can control them there as they are pretty visible. Next year, I won't let them get started on my big CE, if it survives.

I don't understand why they like the CE so much. They'll ignore my blue crown and maypop. It must be really tasty and tender.

Thanks again.

Barbara

Bookmark   August 29, 2009 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
passiflora caerulea
I have a packet of Passiflora caerulea seed. I tried...
theodosiaunderwood
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™